Journal Entery #3

 As the year comes to an end there are thoughts and hopes of new beginnings. . . 

I understand the glamor and love of the new year, the promise of a new start, but I think some people give it more than it's worth.  Originally this journal entry was going to be paired with last week's post but I thought, why not separate it and make it a two-part new years series.  In last week's post, I shared some fictional beginnings and now, some of my own thoughts on the new year.  

I might have different opinions if I had had a bad year, but I didn't.  My year ebbed and flowed like most do but my pits peaked again, I had highs and lows, I can't call that bad.  Still, how does writing 1/1 (or January 1st), in a journal or at the top of a task list, really matter that much?  I have found typical new years resolutions, such as working out more, eating healthily, or waking up earlier, never seem to work out well for me.  I am prone to stray from many routines and if I want to start working out more, I will start when I feel like it.  After all, what if I don't feel like it on January 1st?  I won't tell myself that I will do it every single day, because if I don't it's okay and it's not worth beating myself up over.   I tell myself that I'll do my best or I might end up hating it in the end.  

I do have some hopes for the new year, however.  I hope to do something creative, something small at least, every day, or just as often as I can.  A sketch, a piece of writing, or a painting, are the ones I am most prone to complete but I would include making jewelry or sewing.  I might document some of my creative pieces on my Instagram but I won't every day.  I'm going to be flexible with it, if I miss a day it's all right, and I am the judge of what I do each day. 


Thank you for reading!  

Do you thrive off starting something new at the beginning of the new year or does it not work as well for you? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring Poems By Mary Oliver

Thoughts while running, 6/1/23