Grapes for Breakfast by abby m.

Grapes for Breakfast
Yesterday I ate grapes for breakfast, half of them squishy 
And brown,
And gross, 
And I told you my life story,
Tears dried on the frames of my glasses from me crying with my head
In my lap. 

I ran into the kitchen before the silence grew too loud
Too overbearingly loud 
For those few moments, the world shut off
Even the birds stopped singing and the wind ceased blowing 
It was all so loud, louder than I could have imagined, 
Like a raging,
Relentless,
Waterfall.
It was just about to suffocate me 
When I fled to get more grapes.
The only way to describe a 
A silence like that one, one that smothers everything around it,
 Is with a sound.

I also wanted to clean my glasses
So I could at least see while we talked about how I could feel like 
Less of a rotten grape, shall we say, and more of a person. 

In the end, you said you understood but
There was plenty of time, from me carefully picking out each rotten grape
To me scrubbing off each dried tear,
For you to come up with something to say to me,
And that is what you came up with?
I must have worn my thoughts on my face 
Because you started to defend yourself
I don't believe you can understand 
That's okay, you can sympathize but that only goes halfway 
I don't believe anyone can understand until

Until
You have tears dried on your glasses frames 
So bad
You can't see,
Until the world suffocate you
With its silence, 
And until all you have left for breakfast,
Is a bag of rotten grapes.  

☆☆☆


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring Poems By Mary Oliver

Thoughts while running, 6/1/23