Books



Books 

Books.  One of my favorite conversations with some of my favorite people is talking about 

books. I love hearing peoples favorite books and recommendations. I want to know 

what books made you cry and which ones you would and wouldn't read again. I also

prefer to read and formulate my own opinions on books that other people didn't always  love. 

But lets talk about some of my favorite books and suggestions for different situations.

The Great Gatsby 

I read this book three days before January 1st, 2020 and finished it in three days. I also really 

enjoyed it. Someone told me I wouldn't like this book so the next day I bought it and 

finished it three days later ready to prove them wrong. But no, I seriously liked it, I am 

not sure everyone would though. The book was set in the '20s so I thought it was 

perfect to read right before 2020. It started out pretty chill; just this guys life, getting a 

girlfriend, a new job etc. But it was still very interesting and painted a very nice 

peaceful image in my mind. And the end was very unexpected and dramatic for me, 

which I appreciated.  There was a section with two full pages just saying the names of 

people who attended a party, which I read, but was not my favorite part of the book. 

If you just read a very sad or very long book, you are a relatively fast reader, and you 

enjoy a book about the 1920s you might enjoy this book. 

The Book Thief 

I recently finished this book and I really did enjoy it. I have so many friends who love 

this book and I don't know if I am as passionate about it as they are but it was so 

beautiful. I absolutely love poetry and if you do too, well, what are you doing? Go read 

The Book Thief! It is very poetic and sad and quite sad at the end, and I don't know if I can 

handle that type of book all the time. Its pretty long (around 550 pages) but doesn't feel 

too long because there are a lot of breaks and white space on each page which I appreciate. 

Something that is super unique about this book is that is it written from the point of 

view of death. (don't worry that's not spoiling anything. They say that on the back of that 

book.) There are so many different portrayals of death in books but in The Book Thief he is 

written as a nice guy who is worn out and tired of his job, making it really interesting. 

Dead End in Norvelt 

 I had to include this book because it is hilarious! We love Dead End in Norvelt in my 

family and we quote it all the time. It is middle grade fiction and good for all ages. If 

you do read this book do one thing for me, would you? Listen to it on audio. Jack 

Gantos is the author (and the main character) and he reads the audio book.  I just don't 

know if this book would be as good reading it on your own. The way Jack Gantos reads 

it makes it hilarious and so quotable. 

Love and Gelato

This is one of the books that I really didn't love.  It is a romantic teen book and in my opinion 95% of 

the time romantic teen books are just not the best.  Typically they are very unrealistic and nothing 

like the real life of  teens these days.  However I did read this a while ago (I believe it was around 

this time last year) and this is what I remember from it.  

Cinder

Another one I didn't love and would not read again.  I actually read this one aloud to my mom and it 

took me so long to finish it.  I think there was around five months between when I began and 

finished this book because I was just done.  After finishing it I can also say it ended on a cliff hanger 

so for someone who was not going to read the sequel it was even worse.  

To finish off here is my current to be read book list:
  • The Scarlet Letter
  • Wonder
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
  • 100 Days of Sunlight 
  • The Giver
  • A Series of Unfortunate Events 
I would love to hear your opinion on the books I listed as some of my favorites, ones I disliked, and 

my to be read books list in the comments.  I also would love to hear any other book suggestions you 

may have for me.

✰ ✰ ✰










Comments

  1. I devoured ever Series of Unfortunate Events book when I was younger, and to this day I cant get the books out of my head. The author is really interesting too in that the name Lemony Snicket is a pen name and he created a fake backstory for him and everything. Definitely recommend!

    And from one new-ish blogger to another, hello!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wondeful! I would love to know what your blog is about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Killers of the Flower Moon and 84, Charing Cross Road (makes me want to cultivate relationships!). I know there are others but that's what I'm thinking right now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spring Poems By Mary Oliver

Thoughts while running, 6/1/23