Another One About Writing


Stuck?

For all of my friends who write: what do you write when you're stuck? 

That is kinda how I am feeling right now; stuck.  I have many titles for possible posts that I saved as drafts but I am not sure where I was going with them when I wrote them down (I am sure it will come to me later).  As I said, I am stuck so I have decided to write about some tips I have for you if you are stuck.  Yes, I have decided to not use any of these tips and write about them instead.  (Also don't worry, not all of my posts will be about writing and books😄)

Most of the time when ever I get stuck when writing (a blog post, specifically) it is because I don't have a topic.  When I find something I am interested in, enjoy, and want to write about, I am pretty much set.  I also think you have to be in the mood to write.  Ninety percent of the poems I have written were at 1 o'clock am and written with the faint glow of my alarm clock so I am able jot down some slightly readable words.

So my first tip is to find a topic.  

This is not always easy (especially if you are feeling picky).  So keep your little peepers peeled friends!  Leave your phone alone for a bit and just watch the world we live in.  Write down some random questions on a sticky note and slap them on the wall! 

If you are wanting to start a short story or novel or if you are stuck in your existing one, you should go read a book in the style you are writing in.  I always find myself writing in the style of the book I just finished or am in the middle of so why wouldn't the reverse work just as well?  Being a student I have to read all types of books, not only the ones I pick, so go find what you love and get inspired! 


If you are in the middle of a story and can't decide what you want to happen next: https://www.plot-generator.org.uk/cure-writers-block/  A plot generator!  You enter some information about your book into the website and see what it spits out.  There is a large chance that you won't end up using the plot suggestions but once you read a couple you might find one that you can tweak or it simply might help you start generating your own.

Have any of you heard of a freewrite?  I think it's a perfect way to start writing.  Sometimes if you have no topic, no idea, no nothing, simply writing something will help you to get started on creating something that you really care about.  Free writing is simple: you turn your phone off, retrieve a notebook, paper, or a blank google document, set a timer for 15 minutes, and write.  You can write about anything: that you don't know what to write about, what time you got up that morning, what the weather is like.  You could wonder why your coffee is tasting acidic and proceed to come up with ways to change your daily coffee to make it better and there you go!  Just let your words pile up, and develop.  If you get bored with what you are writing about, move on, maybe look up and find someting in your room and write your opinions on the first thing you glance at.  Even if you're not stuck, it's super fun.  I also think freewrites are helpful if you are not "in the mood to write."

I think that is where I would like to leave it for today.  I hope you find some of these helpful and if your mind and notebooks are overflowing with ideas I hope this is something you can look back on in future.  

What's on your to-do list when you get writer's block?  Anything to add?  Post it in the comments!  

 As you might have have noticed I have installed more than one way to subscribe to this blog.  I would love it if you would pick one way (or both) and take a few seconds to click a button or enter you name.

Thanks for stopping by!

✰ ✰ ✰                                                                        







Comments

  1. Usually my writer's block consists of just having the self-control to sit down and do what I know to do! I have so much to say but the hardest part is sitting down and DOING it!! Sometimes just five minutes helps me get started!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spring Poems By Mary Oliver

Thoughts while running, 6/1/23